Cleveland Commercial Door Red Flags for Repairs
Nothing lasts forever – not even the best Cleveland commercial door.
Unfortunately, knowing exactly when it’s time for a repair or replacement isn’t always black-and-white. However, there are some common red flags that signal it’s time to have your Cleveland commercial door equipment evaluated for maintenance, repair, or replacement.
Some of those include:
- Misalignment. Commercial doors can become misaligned over time due to regular usage or external factors. This can cause the door to stick, scrape against the frame, or not close properly. Misalignment may be caused by loose hinges, damaged tracks, or general wear and tear.
- Broken or worn-out hardware. The hardware components of commercial doors, such as hinges, handles, locks, and closers, can break or become worn out over time. This can result in difficulties with opening, closing, or securing the door.
- Damaged or broken glass. Many commercial doors in Cleveland feature glass panels. If these panels crack, shatter, or become loose due to accidental impact or vandalism, it compromises security and poses a safety risk.
- Weatherstripping issues. The weatherstripping on commercial doors can deteriorate or become damaged, leading to air and water leaks. This can result in energy inefficiency, discomfort for occupants, and potential damage to the door or surrounding areas.
- Faulty automatic door systems. A Cleveland commercial door that is equipped with automatic openers, sensors, or motion detectors can experience malfunctions. These malfunctions may include doors not opening or closing as intended, sensors not detecting movement, or issues with the control system.
- Structural damage. Commercial doors are commonly subject to heavy use, so structural damage can occur over time. This can include warping, bending, or dents in the door itself or the surrounding frame. Our commercial door professionals can more closely examine the issue for repair, though if the door is structurally compromised, it probably needs to be replaced – and the sooner, the better.
- Electrical problems. If the commercial door is motorized or includes electronic components, electrical issues may arise. These problems can range from faulty wiring to issues with the power supply or control panel.
Note that depending on your industry, there might be other issues impeding functionality, safety, or appearance to consider.
Get an Assessment From a Cleveland Commercial Door Expert
All commercial doors – at retail stores, office complexes, restaurants, hotels, healthcare facilities, schools, industrial centers, sports venues, parking garages, and transportation hubs – at some point will need repair or replacement. While door manufacturers might offer guidelines, the door’s age is only part of the equation. It also depends on the type of facility you’re operating, the safety and security requirements set forth by your industry standards and/or building codes, and the degree of functionality your door has to deliver.
Example: Hospitals and industrial hubs need heavy duty doors built for high traffic, high security, and high force. That level of wear and tear is going to show faster. But on the flip side, those sturdier doors will likely require less frequent repair/replacement than the lighter-material doors at a restaurant or clothing retailer. Doors on the latter may get less abuse, but their aesthetic is a higher priority.
The point is, when our Cleveland commercial door repair and replacement pros are asked, “How do I know it’s time to replace my commercial door?” or, “Can I get by with just a repair for now?” an informed answer is going to consider a range of factors unique to your operational, functional, security, and aesthetic priorities.
If you do have concerns, it’s important to address them promptly. When you call at the first sign of an issue, you can sometimes circumvent exacerbating a problem that might initially be fine with a relatively minor repair.
Our door repair and replacement service providers at Advance Door Co. have expertise in commercial door systems, and can help diagnose and fix these issues swiftly and effectively.
Advance Door Co. provides commercial door products, services, repairs, and replacements to customers throughout Northeast Ohio, including Cleveland, Parma, and surrounding communities.
Ohio Building Code 4101:1-10-01, Means of Egress
More Blog Entries:
ADA Compliant Doors: A Cleveland Business Owner Guide, Dec. 10, 2022, Cleveland Commercial Door Blog